As technology is ever changing, looking for exciting new ways to save money can be as simple as a click away from your phone. Turn your smartphone into a virtual money saving machine with this guest post from Inspiring Savings!
I have compiled a list of my favorite FREE money saving phone apps. Keep in mind that new apps are developed all the time, so while it is quite possible I’ve missed something, I do feel confident that this list is a great selection.
- CartWheel from Target – CartWheel is a first-of-its-kind program that gives shoppers a new way to save on hundreds of items throughout Target stores. This includes grocery, household, clothing, health and beauty, baby items, office supplies and well, pretty much any category of items that Target sells! The bonus is that you can stack Target Coupons and manufacturer coupons with the Target Cartwheel offers.
- Checkout51 – Is an app very similar to Ibotta: However, unlike Ibotta it is not restricted to select stores. You can redeem your savings from any of your local stores. You still need to purchase an item, upload your receipt in order to get money back. What I love about this app: If you don’t have a smartphone, you can still use Checkout 51. Just take a pic of your receipt and upload it to your computer. Access your Checkout 51 account from a desktop and submit the receipt!
- Easy Envelope Budget Aid AKA Good Budget – This budgeting app lets you create virtual “envelopes” to keep track of spending in various categories. Your cash for each month’s expenses is taken out and divided into envelopes for each budget category. Like groceries, transportation, eating out, and rent. This app is great for Dave Ramsey fans who find it cumbersome to carry actual envelopes. This app has both a free and paid version.
- Favado – Puts all the coupon matches into the palm of your hand, simplifying the process for you. It takes the sales and coupon information and puts it into a neat, organized package…so you can rest assured, knowing your not going to miss a great deal, or forget to use your coupons. You can make your shopping list right from your smartphone and it can be matched with the coupons you need. No worries about leaving your list at home on the counter or in your car, you have it right on your smartphone. You can even send it to your computer to print at home or work. Being organized is a HUGE asset to saving money. Knowing where the BEST deals are located, having your coupons and getting out there to save some cash.
- Gas Buddy – is a free app that allows you to find the least expensive gas in your area. Filling up your tank is never fun, especially when gas prices are high. If you want to be able to find the most affordable fuel in your area, download Gas Buddy. You may not think that saving a few cents a gallon is a big deal, but that adds up over time and can lead to significant savings.
- Ibotta – “Clip” the coupon offers for groceries you want from this app. Then when you purchasethose items from a participating retailer you scan your receipt with your smartphone, scan the image bar codes and you get the cash back! Plus, you can still use coupons in the store on the items, saving you EVEN MORE! Ibotta offers change frequently.
- RedLaser – Keeps your loyalty cards in one convenient place. Never miss an opportunity to earn points again. RedLaser helps you keep track of the things you love, like a product, deal or store. Save it to your favorites with one tap. Search or scan to compare prices between thousands of online and offline retailers.
- Retail Me Not – Whether you are at Best Buy purchasing a new TV or Kohl’s getting an outfit for work, this app could save you money. By simply searching the app for a store, you can find coupons and codes that could end up cutting the cost of your purchase. Retailmenot has over 50,000 coupon codes for online stores. If there are coupon codes available, you’ll see a section called Active Coupons. You’ll see a percentage and the higher it is, the better chance the code will work.
- SavingStar – Is a great way to save big money on your groceries and pharmacy store purchases. They are the first and only national, fully-digital grocery eCoupon rewards service. There is nothing to clip and nothing to print. SavingStar allows you to select the eCoupons you like and link them to your store loyalty cards. Use your linked loyalty card at checkout. Your money is automatically added to your SavingStar account. They’ll e-mail you when your savings post.
- Shopkick – We’re all familiar with traditional reward programs. Shopkick is a shopping rewards program that’s more rewarding. No plastic cards, no confusing rules, no extra steps. Walk into your favorite stores like Target, Macy’s, Best Buy, Crate&Barrel, Old Navy, Toys”R”Us, Exxon and Mobil convenience stores, and more—and you automatically rack up points called “kicks”, which are redeemable for gift cards. No applications to fill out, and no purchase required. That’s right—you just walk in with your smartphone and instantly earn kicks.
- Shop Savvy – Comparing prices is the BEST way to save you money. If you are a comparison shopper this app is for you. Simply scan the bar code or type in the item you are looking to purchase. Once you’ve found a product, ShopSavvy tells you the cheapest local or online price. For local products, you can get map directions, visit their website, or call the store. For online products, you can visit their website or share the product using Facebook or Twitter.
- TheCouponsApp – Out shopping and need a coupon in a hurry? No Problem. Open up this app and you are instantly connected to your local stores and coupons that may be available. Just click on the link provide and up pops your money saving coupon. Traveling for work or on vacation? TheCouponsApp continues to dig up coupons for you no matter where you may be.
~Jen, Inspiring Savings.com
My name is Jennifer of Inspiring Savings. I am a Registered Nurse, married to a wonderful husband for 7 years and mom of two toddlers.
I am very passionate about saving money, spending less and helping others in my community. I combine personal simple frugal living tips, recipes, crafts, couponing ideas and smart shopping techniques to help you become your own economist. Please join me in my journey to live simply and save.