The Saratoga Race Course Open House offers a free sneak-peek into the popular summer meeting with a full day of games, activities, live music, food, pony rides, behind-the-scenes tours, mascot races, handicapping seminars, and non-wagering horse racing.
The 32nd annual Open House will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission and parking are free.
What to Expect at this year’s Open House
- The Saratoga Economic Opportunity Council, will greet patrons at the gates in an effort to collect non-perishable canned goods.
- American Red Cross is holding a blood drive at the Saratoga Race Course during the Open House from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. through its Traveling Donor Center.
- The Puppet People, offering a fun festival of frolics called Puppet Potpourri, which is a puppet variety show that showcases trick marionettes, mouth puppets, rod puppets and a show full of laughs for all ages. They will provide three performances, taking place at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Locally-known equine artist and art instructor Mary Francis Millet will be on hand with tips and a water color demonstration for fans participating in the second annual Travers-themed poster contest.
- Another highlight of the day for horse lovers is the Islip Horsemen’s Association Long Island Drill Team. The team will perform on the main track at 11:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.
- Open House will include the ninth-annual mascot race, which pits famed mascots from local sports teams and well-known brands against one another in a one-of-a-kind race down the main track. Post time is noon.
- The Children’s Museum of Science and Technology will make a stop at the Open House with its educational and explorative Leaping Lizards and Rocking Reptiles exhibit. These demonstrations can be enjoyed under the Carousel at 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:45 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- The backyard will play host to a variety of activities including pony rides, inflatables, face painting, caricatures and a petting zoo.
- Open House will also feature live music from the strolling swing band Captain Squeeze & the Zydeco Moshers.
- Patrons can get a glimpse into the inner workings of the track with free backstretch tours every half hour beginning at 11 a.m. at the Clubhouse entrance.