When I was a kid birthdays consisted of running through the sprinkler in my backyard, a homemade birthday cake, and presents. Oh how times have changed! Now when we go to a party I am amazed at what we go through to try and make our children’s party stand out.
Fun places for kids in Saratoga NY & the Capital Region
We are fortunate to live in an area with lots of great outside-the-home birthday party spots; such as Premier Dance or Tiny Tots Tearoom in Clifton Park NY, TreePaad in Malta NY, Children’s Museum at Saratoga, Saratoga Strike Zone, Tumbling Tykes in Latham, My Place to Play in Rotterdam NY, and so many others!
What if you don’t want to go with a standard party place, but want to stick with that old fashioned at home party? You can still make it original and memorable while at the same time keeping things simple.
When planning a party we tend to go with our child’s latest interests, usually this is television related: Toy Story, Cars, Dora, but there are other interests we can pull from besides TV shows and movies.
How about a book themed birthday party?
This shows our children that book characters and stories are just as important as what they may be watching on TV. Just look at your book shelf and pull out the one she/he asks to read every night. You know the one that looks like it went through the garbage disposal you have read it so many times.
Here are some good suggestions: Pinkalicious, Fancy Nancy (the one in which she makes her own day spa would be great for older girls), How I Became a Pirate, and Richard Scarry’s Busy Town books.
Once you choose a book begin planning. Here is a simple formula to a great themed party:
1. Invitations: (I will use Pinkalicious as my example) Make your own cupcake invitations with your child’s help using their thumb print to make the cherry.
2. Create a signature treat- off course I would go with pink frosted cupcakes here.
3. A craft- Why not have the kids decorate their own cupcakes turning snack time into a craft as well? Let them mix in food coloring to white frosting to create their favorite color, and add sprinkles, cherries, M & M’s, or anything you want to provide.
4. Game- Go with a classic but, add your own twist by playing pin the cherry on the cupcake.
5. Activity-Read the story you have chosen and since I am a sing and dance kind of girl, get those kids dancing while you have them in a group. Any of your child’s favorites work, Laurie Berkner, Greg and Stevie, or even some “oldies” that adults will love too!
6. Sending them home: Okay everyone does goody bags now, but most of us throw that stuff away as soon as our child’s head is turned. Some other ideas could be to fill a small bag with popcorn to munch on, a cd that you have made with your child’s favorite songs or a small craft to do at home. Oriental Trading has really inexpensive crafts you can get to send home.
~Erin Carter from Birthdays Rock!
What is Birthdays Rock?
Do you find at your own parties you just want to lean back and let someone else entertain the kids so you can get some time to enjoy your guests? Contact me to have a “rockin birthday” and I will come to your house or another venue. I provide a fun-filled music and motion experience that will create a fun birthday memory for your child and their friends.
We begin moving and grooving to bubbles, sing songs, use bean bags, instruments, the parachute, balloons, and more! I can create a fun program for your child or gear it to a theme of your choice. Best for children under 5 years. Experience includes music and movement instructor at Fun4Tots and My Place to Play, MS in Early Childhood Education, Sp. Ed, and Literacy.