Saratoga Race Course Open House this weekend!
This annual event kicks off summer racing at the Saratoga Race Course, one of North America’s most historic thoroughbred racetracks.
On Sunday, July 15th from 11am-4pm, open house attendees will get a free sneak-peek into the track and enjoy a full day of games, activities, live music, food, pony rides, behind-the-scenes tours, mascot races, handicapping seminars, and non-wagering horse racing.
Designed to support community organizations, Saratoga’s Open House raises nearly $15,000 every year for local not-for-profit groups through the sale of deeply discounted food and beverages.
“The Open House event not only welcomes people to the summer Saratoga season at the track,” said NYRA President and COO Ellen McClain, “but is also intended to generate much needed funds for worthy local charities.”
What to Expect at this year’s Open House
- The Saratoga Economic Opportunity Council, will greet patrons at the gates in an effort to collect non-perishable canned goods.
- American Red Cross is holding a blood drive at the Saratoga Race Course during the Open House from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. through its Traveling Donor Center.
- The Puppet People, offering a fun festival of frolics called Puppet Potpourri, which is a puppet variety show that showcases trick marionettes, mouth puppets, rod puppets and a show full of laughs for all ages. They will provide three performances, taking place at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Locally-known equine artist and art instructor Mary Francis Millet will be on hand with tips and a water color demonstration for fans participating in the second annual Travers-themed poster contest.
- Another highlight of the day for horse lovers is the Islip Horsemen’s Association Long Island Drill Team. The team will perform on the main track at 11:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m.
- Open House will include the ninth-annual mascot race, which pits famed mascots from local sports teams and well-known brands against one another in a one-of-a-kind race down the main track. Post time is noon.
- The Children’s Museum of Science and Technology will make a stop at the Open House with its educational and explorative Leaping Lizards and Rocking Reptiles exhibit. These demonstrations can be enjoyed under the Carousel at 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:45 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- The backyard will play host to a variety of activities including pony rides, inflatables, face painting, caricatures and a petting zoo.
- Open House will also feature live music from the strolling swing band Captain Squeeze & the Zydeco Moshers.
- Patrons can get a glimpse into the inner workings of the track with free backstretch tours every half hour beginning at 11 a.m. at the Clubhouse entrance.
Other Important Dates for the 2012 Season
Saratoga Race Track opens officially for the season on Friday, July 20th.
Here are a few other important Saratoga Race Course dates:
- Sunday, July 22, 2012 – Hats Off to Saratoga
- Friday, July 27th – Visit SaratogaMama in the family tent for a fun & free activity!
- Wednesday, August 22 – Ice Cream Eating Contest
- Sept 2-3 – Family Fun Fest